Move to Netherlands

Dutch Customs Office

As soon as you move to the Netherlands you will be considered as a resident taxpayer and you will be subjected to the levy of Dutch income tax and national insurance contributions. In order to do this, you must apply for the so-called Citizen Service Number. The Citizen Service Number is necessary for deducting your taxes and social security contributions. Moreover, you need to deal with the Customs Office to make a customs declaration for removal goods or personal goods. In case you are moving from an EU country you do not have to declare removal goods or personal goods due to your right as an EU citizen of free movement of goods within the European Union.

However, there are some rules which apply for specific cases. As a traveller you are allowed to certain items with you including alcoholic products and tobacco products. Customs assumes that the goods are for your own use. You do not need to par excise duty if you enter the Netherlands from another EU country when you are taking no more excise goods with you than the following quantities:

  • 110 litres of beer
  • 90 litres of wine
  • 20 litres of fortified wine, such as sherry or port
  • 800 cigarettes
  • 400 cigarillos or cigars
  • 1 kilogram of smoking tobacco

And special products and pets:

  • dogs and cats
  • counterfeit products
  • protected exotic animal and plant species
  • animal products
  • weapons and ammunition, toy weapons and fake weapons
  • drugs
  • items of cultural worth

Rules for special products and pets can be found in section on the website of the tax office: Luggage, Special products and pets

With regard to cars and motorcycles, generally you do not have to pay tax on passenger cars and motorised vehicles (bpm) when you move to the Netherlands from an EU country. However, some conditions apply.More»

In case you have specific questions you can call or email the Customs Information Line for Non-resident Tax Issues
Telephone number: (055) 538 53 85 From abroad +31 555 385 385 Opening times Monday to Thursday: 08.00 – 20.00 hours. Friday: 08.00 – 17.00 hours.

The ‘Tax Information Line Non-resident Tax Issues’ is intended for persons and businesses located abroad but liable to pay Dutch tax. Persons and businesses located in the Netherlands should call the Tax Information Line for residents

Telephone number: 0800 – 0543 (freephone) Opening times Monday to Thursday: 08.00 – 20.00 hours. Friday: 08.00 – 17.00 hours.

Note that if you call the Dutch Tax Information Line (0800-0543), employees will only speak Dutch and that it is not possible to correspond in English by e-mail with the Tax Administration.

In general, when you move to the Netherlands from a non-EU country, you are allowed to import your removal goods or personal goods without paying taxes. However, you must apply for a permit.

Fill in and print the form, sign it and send the form to the address mentioned on it:


(Visited 1,577 time, 1 visit today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *